Interdisciplinary Design for Services, Systems, and Beyond

Jodi Forlizzi, HCI Institute and School of Design, Carnegie Mellon University

forlizziat signcs.cmu.edu

Seminar on People, Computers, and Design
Stanford University May 21, 2010
, 12:50pm, Gates B01

Design in its most simple definition is human influence on artifacts, environments, services, and systems in the world. Design is important for product function and aesthetics, but also for the social, emotional, and cultural impact that designed things have in the world. In this talk, I will share two big insights that I have learned about bringing design to HCI research and development. I will use examples from my work and the work of my lab to show the benefit of these insights, and the power of design and design research as its own intellectual discipline within the context of other disciplines.

bart

Jodi Forlizzi is an Associate Professor of Design and Human-Computer Interaction and the A. Nico Habermann Chair of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University, in Pittsburgh, PA. She is an interaction designer contributing to design theory and practice. Her theoretical research examines theories of experience, emotion, and social product use as they relate to interaction design. Other research and practice centers on notification systems ranging from peripheral displays to embodied robots, with a special focus on the social behavior evoked by these systems.

The talks are open to the public. They are in the Gates Building, Room B01 in the basement. The nearest public parking is in the structure at Campus Drive and Roth Way.

View this talk on line at CS547 on Stanford OnLine.

Titles and abstracts for previous years are available by year and by speaker.