High Resolution Virtual Reality

Michael Deering, SUN Microsystems
Michael.Deering@eng.sun.com

Seminar on People, Computers, and Design
Stanford University October 21, 1994

I define the lower layers of Virtual Reality to be: the highly-accurate, real-time simulation by computer of the interaction of the physical world with human senses. My focus is on the visual system, the talk will desceribe the techniques used to perform this simulation in several running systems at Sun microsystems. These include: correct perspective viewing equations, correcting for the optics of both human eyeballs and glass CRT's, predictive head trackers and other hardware nasties. This talk is an expansion of my SIGGRAPH '92 talk to include details of the Virtual Portal, a 1K x 2K walk-in virtual display device.

Michael Deering recieved his A.B. and Ph.D. degrees in Computer Science from U.C. Berkeley. Durring the eighties he worked at Schlumberger Palo Alto Research Labatories in the areas of AI Computer Vision, VLSI design, 3D graphics hardware/software and Virtual Reality. In the ninties he's be hanging out at Sun Microsystems, building 3D computer graphics hardware and Virtual Reality software and systems. Due to advanced in computerized spelling correctors, he has still avoided ever learning how to spel.

Titles and abstracts for all years are available by year and by speaker.

For more information about HCI at Stanford see

Overview Degrees Courses Research Faculty FAQ