Graphics, Vision and HCI Research at MERL

Ramesh Raskar, Mitsubishi Electric Research Labs (MERL)

raskarmerl.com

Seminar on People, Computers, and Design
Stanford University October 31, 2003

As computing has moved off the desktop, research in interaction, computer graphics, computer vision and usability has become more interdisciplinary and requires teams of very diverse composition.

I will illustrate this point with a brief description of selected projects at MERL. They include algorithms for smart elevators, quantifying presence and flow of people, multi-user touch screens, LED based communication and chemical sensing. I will also describe my own work in intelligent locale-aware mobile projectors for interaction, display and augmentation.

The projects above represent the research efforts of many members of the MERL staff. For appropriate credits, please visit the MERL web site, http://www.merl.com .

Ramesh Raskar joined MERL as a Research Scientist in 2000. Prior to that, he was at the Office of the Future group at UNC's Computer Graphics lab. As part of his dissertation, he developed a framework for projector based 3D graphics by treating a projector as the dual of a camera. Current work includes topics from non-photorealistic rendering, computer vision and intelligent user interfaces. He is a member of the ACM and IEEE.

View this talk on line at CS547 on Stanford OnLine

Titles and abstracts for all years are available by year and by speaker.

For more information about HCI at Stanford see

Overview Degrees Courses Research Faculty FAQ