Unistrokes: Pen computing for experts

David Goldberg, Xerox Parc
goldberg@parc.xerox.com

Seminar on People, Computers, and Design
Stanford University November 5, 1993

Everyone learns how to use a pen in grade school. This has lead to a belief that an electronic pen is a more suitable input device than a keyboard for computers. But using a pen has a drawback for text entry: an expert can enter text no faster than a beginner. This suggests that there is a need for a pen text entry system geared to power users.

I have been studying such a system, which I call "unistrokes". Unistrokes are a specially constructed alphabet intended to be used with an electronic pen. Unistrokes are designed to have the following advantages over ordinary writing: (1) faster entry speed (2) higher legibility (3) "eyes-free" operation. Preliminary experience suggest that unistrokes are quite easy to learn.

I have been at PARC for five years, and have somewhat eclectic interests. Besides user interfaces, I am especially interested in information retrieval (and have been involved with the Tapestry project at PARC) and in floating-point (I wrote the appendix that no one reads in the computer architecture textbook by Patterson and Hennessy).

Titles and abstracts for all years are available by year and by speaker.

For more information about HCI at Stanford see

Overview Degrees Courses Research Faculty FAQ